On the left side of the page, go to My Applications and click on “Newborn Screen Result Viewer.” Enter the medical record number from the hospital of birth or the NBS lab ID number and select search.
How long does it take to get the results of the newborn screening test?
Results of newborn screening for hearing loss and heart disease are available as soon as the test is done. Blood test results usually are ready by the time a baby is 5–7 days old. Often, parents won’t hear about results if screening tests were normal. They are contacted if a test was positive for a condition.
What can be detected in newborn screening?
Endocrine issues that may be detected by a newborn screening include: Congenital hypothyroidism. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
Common Screening Tests for Newborns
- Propionic acidemia (PROP)
- Methylmalonic acidemia.
- 3-Methylcrotnyl CoA carboxylase deficiency.
- Trifunctional protein deficiency (TFP)
What is abnormal newborn screening?
An “abnormal” result means that the test results were not normal. “Abnormal” results may appear on the newborn screening report for some of the disorders on the newborn screening panel.
How accurate are newborn screening tests?
The PPVs, however, range from 0.5% to 6.0%. Consequently, on average, there are more than 50 false-positive results for every true-positive result identified through newborn screening in the United States.
When do you take newborn screening?
When does the screen happen? The blood test is generally performed when a baby is 24 to 48 hours old. This timing is important because certain conditions may go undetected if the blood sample is drawn before 24 hours of age.
Can PKU tests be wrong?
Although initial PKU screening demonstrates positive results in 1 percent of infants, there is only a 10 percent chance that an infant with an initial positive result has the disorder (false-positive rate of 90 percent). 6 A repeat test must be performed if the initial test is positive. False-negative results are rare.